After a very successful 37 year career litigating personal injury, product liability and medical malpractice cases, Mr. Burke has decided to put his negotiation, communication and legal skills to work assisting parties in resolving their disputes through mediation and settlement discussions. In his 37 years litigating cases he successfully resolved over 500 cases for his clients, most of which involved mediations to reach a resolution. Through this experience, he has concluded the mediation process is a much more efficient and much less costly (financially and emotionally) method for resolving disputes.
He started his legal career with the defense firm of Law Offices of George Ellis, and Ellis, McGarry and Laufenberg and later moved to the plaintiff side with Joseph Thielen, Esq. and their firm, Thielen and Burke. He worked as a partner with Mr. Thielen for 13 years litigating serious personal injury cases. He formed his own firm when Mr. Thielen retired in 1998 and has been handling cases on behalf of injured plaintiffs since then.
He volunteered with the Los Angeles Superior Court's Alternative Dispute Resolution program and was certified by the prestigious Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution in their Mediating the Litigated Case program. Through the LASC program, Mr. Burke has mediated well over 50 cases. He looks forward to using his experience and his training to assist parties in reaching resolution of their cases. He believes in working tirelessly and providing enough time to the parties before, during and after the mediation to lead to results acceptable for all parties.
- Juris Doctor, University of Southern California.
- Master of Business Administration, University of Southern California.
- Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, in Interdivisional Studies - Pre Law, University of Southern California
- Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution: Trained and Certified in Mediating the Litigated Case
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate
- ABOTA Foundation, Legacy - Patriot
- National Board Representative for the Orange County Chapter of ABOTA
- Member of CAOC, CAALA, OCTLA, and AAJ
- Orange County Bar Association, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Long Beach Bar Association
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Joseph D. McNeil Civility Award from Orange County Chapter of ABOTA
- 3 time winner of Top Gun/Trial Lawyer of the Year for Medical Malpractice from OCTLA
- Nominee for CAALA Trial Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers in America for 30 years, 1990 through present
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, Top 10, Top 100
HOBBIES AND OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES
- Mr. Burke enjoys photography, cycling-both road and mountain, all water sports, skiing and mountain hiking in the Sierras and Teton Mountains, as well as trying to keep up with his wife and 3 adult children.