After a fulfilling 48 year civil jury trial career, Gerald Agnew has transitioned to full-time mediator. Mr. Agnew has obtained well over 100 verdicts, judgments and awards in every type of case involving serious injuries and wrongful deaths, including medical malpractice*. He has mediated more than 150 cases on behalf of his clients as well as engaged in countless settlement conferences. With mediation, Mr. Agnew has enjoyed using his skills to solve problems through negotiation, creative thinking and, most of all, listening. He has no doubt that mediation is the best alternative to a high risk jury trial.
Mr. Agnew started and managed a voluntary settlement program for the Torrance (LA) Superior Court, teaming up plaintiff and defense attorneys to conduct conferences. In this program he was a settlement officer for dozens of litigated cases. He has also acted as a pro bono arbitrator on numerous cases assigned by the court. Mr. Agnew began his career with the prestigious defense trial firm of Morgan Wenzel and McNicholas. He then moved to the plaintiff's side in 1975 and was a partner in the law firm of Greene, O'Reilly, Agnew and Broillet. In 1984 he cofounded the law firm Agnew Brusavich. Mr. Agnew enthusiastically engages in his role as a neutral. He earns your trust and confidence with integrity and hard work. His extensive legal and life experiences are the foundation for a successful mediation of your litigated case.
• Juris Doctorate, Southwestern University School of Law, cum laude and Editor-in Chief of the Law Review
• Bachelor of Science in Business Management, Woodbury University, Los Angeles
• Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution: Completed training in Mediating the Litigated Case
• Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution: Completed training in STAR: a Systematic Approach to Mediation Strategies offered by the Strauss Institute of Dispute Resolution
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
• American Board of Trial Advocates, Diplomate
• International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
• CAALA, Member and Past President
• CAOC, Member
• South Bay Bar Association, Member and Past President
• Western Trial Lawyer's Association, Member and Past President
• American Association for Justice, Member
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Trial Lawyer of the Year, Los Angeles Trial Lawyer's Association (CAALA)
• Southern California Plaintiff Trial of the Year, Verdictum Juris
• One of California's Most Respective Trial Lawyers as recognized in California Lawyer Magazine.
• Best Lawyers in America for 30 years, 1993 through present
• Southern California Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, Top 10, Top 100
• Alumnus of the Year, Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles
ACTIVITIES OF INTEREST
• Mr. Agnew and his law partner awarded more than 500 scholarships over 30 years to deserving high school seniors entering Community College applying for the Honors Transfer Program. He proudly MC'd the annual award banquets for students, families, educators and staff.
• Gerald is an avid cyclist and competes at the Masters' Level in Velodrome (track) racing and has multiple State, National and World Championships and National records.
• He also enjoys mountain biking and backpacking in the Eastern Sierras.
*Extensive litigation and trial experience:
- 100's of vehicle cases – automobile, motorcycle, big rig, pedestrians.
- More than 200 bicycle cases in the past 12 years.
- A substantial number of product liability cases – auto, aircraft (limited), industrial and factory machinery and equipment, consumer products.
- 100's of premises liability cases – construction accidents, governmental entities, private property.
- 100's of medical malpractice cases – all types, including elder abuse in the SNF and assisted living setting.
Click here for Mr. Agnew's profile on JudicateWest.com.